There is no footprint too small to leave an imprint on this world.

Monday, February 24, 2014

Spiritual Rags (to riches)

We all love those rags-to-riches stories. You know, the underprivileged person who despite the insurmountable odds became rich and successful. Like Oprah, John Rockefeller or Sarah Jessica Parker. What is it about them that strikes such an emotional cord?  
It's their courage to keep pushing forward in the face of challenge. Real, dirty, ugly challenge. They are inspiring because they had a difficult journey yet carried on.
Who has had a difficult journey? Umm...everyone! There is not a single person who does not experience some sort of turmoil.
Wealth is tangible so it is easier to visualize the success of the people mentioned above, but what about the emotionally and spiritually destitute? The people who are so overwhelmed by life situations they feel abandoned by God. They are depressed to the point of being unable to smile. Despite the prayerful pleadings for their desires (even righteous ones) they feel empty and void of the comfort from the Holy Spirit. I know many people who fit this category. In fact I have been one of them three distinct times in my life.
About 5 years ago, after a particularly difficult time in my life, I had a very inspiring and humbling thought. 
The strongest people are not those who seem to glide through life with perfect hope and faith all the time; the strongest are those who keep surviving and keep praying despite feeling abandoned and alone. The strongest are the ones who have earned their faith. They have prayed through dirty, scary, ugly times while feeling empty and scared because they merely hope to feel the promise of the Comforter in their life again.
That is real strength. That is real faith. That is real courage.
I feel like I am in the middle of my own spiritual rags to riches success story. It has been scary and dark and lonely at times. I miss Jane so much my body slugs along with depression and aches from the pins and needles of anxiety.  But I can see Heavenly Father turning my faith into something so much stronger and more successful than I ever could have done without this trial.
So if you are feeling helpless today, tomorrow or just in general for the last 6 months I hope you know that you are NOT weak and you can make it. Everything strong has been made that way through times of trouble. Like a muscle being exercised, use the weight of your troubles to strengthen your soul and character. "Don't give up. Don't you quit. You keep walking, you keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead."
(By the way, I have had a handful of people ask if they can share my blog. My answer is an emphatic YES! If you think anyone could benefit from Jane’s story or anything I have to say, then please share away! I mostly do this blog to get thoughts out of my head, but I also really want Jane to continue to influence those who most need her. And if you feel it is appropriate, tell me you shared. Every time someone tells me they have learned something from this experience I feel a little relief in the purpose of it all.)

4 comments:

  1. Christy, I love reading these posts. You are inspiring and strong --more than you'll ever know. Thank you for sharing your life, and Jane's life through this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this...I needed this today. You are truly inspiring and, I daresay, inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came across your blog through mutual friends on fb. I read it a few months ago and just revisited it tonight. My daughter is about Jane's age. I am brought to tears by your story. Your descriptions of Jane match my daughter in a lot of ways. I can not imagine. However, I am moved by your honesty and strength. Our life trials and emotions are real and the pain we experience can be so intense. As I study the Atonement and also read about your family, I can begin to understand more what Christ has suffered for us. He is every bit a part of this experience too. I'm happy to see the truths of the gospel evident in your posts and testimony. Thanks you for sharing and pressing on. You are a strength to your family and those who hear your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're so good with your words! You sure say a lot that makes me feel better and not ever want to give up. My favorite line from you so far (just in a comment to me) is, "Hard is hard, Stephanie." Everyone has their own trials that shake them to the core and push them to the edge and we can all use the reminders and encouragement to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete